Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Wai Paing `12 begins his life as a graduate student at Duke University

Economics major Wai Paing began a masters program in economics at Duke University this fall. He wrote letting us know how his first week was going.

Wai Paing `12 and Papa Fall `12

Life at Duke University as I observe so far is quite different from the one I experienced at Roanoke College. It might just be the difference between the graduate program and the undergraduate program.
 
At Duke, I moved into a big apartment with its own living room, kitchen, bathroom and so on. The neighborhood in general is quiet. Everyone seems to be immersed in his or her own field of study.
 
Unlike Roanoke College, I can no longer walk to classes in five minutes. I have to catch a bus to commute from my apartment to the class. Moreover, food is on my own; there is no dining hall that I can just go in and get something to eat.
 
However, I think it is better this way. A graduate student definitely needs to take more responsibilities.
 
All my colleagues in the masters program look bright. Everyone seems to be hard working, serious and enthusiastic. It is quite intimidating to be in a class together with them for the first few days. Hopefully, I will pass this stage and make this environment as a motivating force for me to study hard.
 
Duke University, in general, is beautiful with its significant Gothic style structure throughout the campus: Duke Chapel being the most famous one. The school is green with lots of trees, a forest and a nice garden. I hope these will be able to relieve some of my stresses during my study.
 
Overall, it has been a great experience so far. Now, I am trying to get settled in at a new place and to start a new chapter of my life.

Best of luck to you Wai and keep us up to date.

Do you have an update for us? Send an email to roanokeecon@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.